Tools for Suicide Prevention, Improved Student Mental Health, and Stigma Reduction from our Partners with the California Reducing Disparities Project
Over 60% of Californians identify as a member of an ethnic or racial group or belong to more than one race or ethnicity (U.S. Census Bureau, 2010). In addition, an unknown number of Californians identify along the LGBTQ spectrum. The California Reducing Disparities Project (CRDP) contractors have extensive “in community” expertise. To strengthen the cultural considerations needed to serve the diverse population of California, CalMHSA contracted with CRDP contractors and/or their identified partners to achieve the following objectives:
- Develop tools or other relevant resources from the extensive data provided in the five statewide population reports conducted as part of the CRDP. For the California MHSA Multicultural Coalition (CMMC), provide insight on populations not covered by the current population reports.
- Tools will identify key cultural considerations for Suicide Prevention, Stigma and Discrimination Reduction, and Student Mental Health.
- Tools could be used by CalMHSA program partners, counties, and their constituencies and stakeholders to enhance understanding and build knowledge.
Visit the California Office of Health Equity to Learn More about the California Reducing Disparities Project http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/Pages/OHEMain.aspx
African Americans – The African American Health Institute (AAHI)
- Beyond the Beat and the Lyrics –Understanding the Impact of Stigma and Discrimination on the Mental Health Status of Transition-Aged African American Males Video.
- Facilitator’s Guide.
Asian/Pacific Islanders (API) – Pacific Clinics
- Fact Sheets:
- Outreach/Engagement to Reduce Stigma among API’s:
- Reducing Stigma Among Asian American & Pacific Islanders (AAPIs)
- Student Mental Health: Reducing Stigma Among Asian American & Pacific Islanders (AAPIs)
- Suicide Prevention: Reducing Stigma Among Asian American & Pacific Islanders (AAPIs)
- Prevention and Early Intervention – Education (PEI-Educate) Curriculum
- PEI-Educate Sample Instructional Lessons
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer & Questioning
- Fact Sheets:
Native Americans – Native American Health Center (NAHC)
- Toolkit Introduction letter written by Janet King of NAHC
- Training video conducted by Art Martinez summarizing curriculum
- Engaging Native Wellness Healing Communities of Care Curriculum Workbook
- Native American Behavioral Health Providers in California by County
- Native American Publications Resource List
- Literature Reviews
- Mental Health Standards of Care Literature Review for American Indians
- Identifying Effective Mental Health Interventions for American Indians and Alaska Natives: A Review of the Literature
- Healing the Wakanheja: Evidence Based, Promising, and Culturally Appropriate Practices for American Indian/Alaska Native Children with Mental Health Needs
- Other Resources
- CMMC World Café Summary Report
- Fact Sheets